Thursday, March 29, 2012

get in on it

Photobucket

Well, it’s almost the end of March and I feel like Roasted Vegetable Season is practically over without so much as one giant snowstorm. I should say that whispering, under my basement stairs and then instantly turn around three times, mark an X on a dead frog and spit on it to prevent a jinx. We are, after all, still in New England.

Photobucket

But last week we had temperatures in the 70s and 80s as a sort of terrifyingly odd stretch of unseasonably warm March weather. All I heard around me all day was people wondering if we would “pay for it.” We are such a bunch of cynics here, especially when it comes to brutal weather, so I guess until we’ve gotten through August without a summer snow squall, we’ll be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Photobucket

Weather aside, I’m still roasting vegetables, because well, it’s easy and it usually means I only have to clean one pan. I had some girlfriends over for lunch a few weeks ago and I made a simple salad that was remarkably delicious thanks to these mustard roasted mushrooms. I also made some fresh baked scones that we had with butter and honey and cinnamon tea. This is the kind of thing I make me ladies for lunch when I have Tuesdays off. You should quit your job and get in on this.

Photobucket

MUSTARD ROASTED MUSHROOMS

1 lb. cremini, shitake or button mushrooms (or a mix)
1-2 tbs. whole grain mustard
2 tbs. Sherry vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp. honey

Photobucket

To clean mushrooms, wipe any dirt off with a damp kitchen towel. Cut into quarters or strips. In a large bowl combine mustard, honey, and vinegar; whisk in the oil to combine thoroughly. Toss the mushrooms in the marinade and refrigerate for 1 hour, or several; tossing every so often if you think of it.

Photobucket

Heat oven to 400. Pour mushrooms and marinade onto a baking sheet and roast, stirring once or twice, for 45 minutes. Mushrooms tend to purge a lot of liquid and because they are mixed with a marinade here, mine were a little too wet. About halfway through cooking, I took the pan out and drained off just a bit of the liquid and sent them back into the oven.

Photobucket

When the mushrooms are finished, toss them- still warm- with arugula, chopped pistachios and crumbled goat cheese for a dynamite salad. For the dressing, I used a roasted shallot vinaigrette, using my standard formula for salad dressing, I used a split roasted shallot as the basis for the dressing.

Photobucket

ROASTED SHALLOT VINAIGRETTE

One large shallot, split and peeled
Walnut oil (or olive oil)

2 tbs. sherry vinegar
½ tsp. honey
½ tsp. whole grain mustard
4 tbs. olive oil

Photobucket

Split shallot down the middle, leaving the root end intact. Peel the skin off and drizzle a bit of oil over, toss to coat. Because I was nearly out of olive oil I had to use some walnut oil and it was one of those cases where the substitution was a really happy accident. Roast the shallot in a small baking dish for an hour, until it’s falling apart.

Photobucket

In a blender or food processor combine the roasted shallot with the mustard, honey and vinegar. Blend to combine completely and then stream in olive oil to complete the dressing.

Photobucket

Season to taste with salt, pepper and if needed, a pinch of sugar.

Photobucket

This dressing would be great on a salad with marinated peaches or ripe slices or pear. And it would also make a great marinade for chicken or steak.

Photobucket


Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.